Start your domain transfer here!
Before You Begin
To transfer a domain, the domain must not be a recent registration or transfer (within 60 days) and it must not be expired or about to expire (we recommend initiating a transfer at least 2 weeks before a domain expires).
Ensure your Whois email address is current as that is the address we will use to authorize the transfer.
Each domain transfer extends your domain registration by one year.*
Domain Transfer ProcessStep 1 Unlock your domain and get its auth code
Step 2 Enter the domain and its auth code above to start your domain transfer
Step 3 Authorize the domain transfer via the email sent to your Whois email address
Step 4 Confirm the domain transfer with your previous registrar if they contact you
Step 5 The domain is added to your Dynadot account and you are notified
Domain Transfer FAQs
How long does it take to complete a domain transfer?
Domain transfers can take anywhere from 5-15 days.
Will my website/email be affected during the domain transfer?
In most cases no. This is because the name servers for your domain are not changed during the domain transfer.
Will I lose my domain if the transfer fails?
No, your domain will just remain at your original registrar.
I can't get my previous registrar to update my Whois email address. Can I still transfer my domain?
You must be able to receive mail at your Whois email address, so you can authorize the transfer. We cannot complete your transfer otherwise.
I can't get my domain transfer authorization code from my previous registrar. Can you still transfer my domain?
Sorry, we cannot transfer a domain without a valid auth code.
Can I transfer my domain if it is expired?
You are welcome to try, but chances are it will not work. Most registrars require you to renew before your can transfer a domain away.
Do I get my money back if the domain transfer fails?
Your account will be credited the full domain transfer fee. The credit can be used for any future purchases. Sorry, we cannot issue a cash refund.
How do I move a domain between two Dynadot accounts?
This is actually a change owner request and not a domain transfer. A change ownership request is free and can be started by the domain recipient on our change owner page.
Do you still have questions about the domain transfer process? Check out the domain transfer section of our help files for more information.
*Domain Transfer Exceptions
When you transfer a domain, 1 year is added to the expiration date in most cases except:
- Your domain expired at your previous registrar, then you renewed it during the renewal grace period, and transferred it to us within 45 days of the renewal.
- Adding a year to the domain will exceed the maximum registration period (usually 10 years, but it varies) for each domain.
- When you are transferring a .BE, .EU, or .DE domain, one year is added to the transfer completion date, not the expiration date.
- For .UK and .LT domains, you need to ask your current registrar to push the domain to us. There is no cost to do this and no time is added to the domain.
- .NL domains retain their pre-transfer expiration date. There is no cost to transfer .NL domains to us.