Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
CNAME Domain
12/15/2006 23:02
I am using a www.invisionfree.com hosted forum and theres an option to link directly to your domain, (Domain Manager) and it says:

Add Domain Name
Domain:
Example: forums.example.com
You do not need to add a separate www.forums.example.com record.

The domain should point to z3.invisionfree.com with a CNAME record.

I want to make it link to http://boards.hockeylives.com

I don't know what to do.
Reply Quote
1/31/2007 10:21
I want to use my main domain with nameservers as my web host and a sub-domain with a cname for forums hosted elsewhere.

What goes in the Dynadot DNS IP Address Required field, my web server ip or forums ip?

Can they both work at the same time? Why does one option move to the top (Dynadot DNS, or, Name Servers) if I select it?
Reply Quote
1/31/2007 15:27
No, you cannot use both Dynadot DNS or Name Servers when setting your domain's name server settings.  The option moves to the top of the name server settings page to show that it is the current option for that domain.

If your web host has given you name servers to use, you will need to use the Name Servers setting so that your domain will use those name servers.  In this case, if you want to set your CNAME too, you will need to ask your web host on how to do it.
Reply Quote
2/1/2007 16:04
I took all the CNAME's out and my domain still doesn't work.

Why does it still ask for an IP if I'm not using the Dynadot DNS part?
Reply Quote
2/2/2007 11:05
It should not ask you for an IP address if you are using a different name server setting.  Also, if you are changing your name server settings, you will have to wait for your settings to propagate.  If you cannot see your domain still, the old name server settings maybe cached either on your computer or at your ISP (Internet Service Provider).  More information on troubleshooting caching problems can be found here:

Why is my website offline?
http://www.dynadot.com/help/question.html?aid=82

You may also want to look into using our IP lookup tool or our Snapshot tool to help troubleshoot caching problems.
Reply Quote
2/17/2007 09:45
im having a problem with my CNAME settings as well.

when i go to IP tool to check it tells me this:
IP Status of mydomain.com
       Name Server Misconfigured - one or more name servers for this domain is not returning an IP address. Please contact the admin for the name server.

Registry Name Servers
       ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

Zone Name Servers
       ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

ns1.dynadot.com
       mydomain.com

ip address              20*.***.***.***
www.mydomain.com

ip address              none

ns2.dynadot.com
       mydomain.com

ip address              20*.***.***.***
www.mydomain.com

ip address              none

so hows that?
Reply Quote
3/3/2007 03:59
I'm deleting the message because the problem is solved

[This post has been edited by o_g_paris_fr on Mar 3, 2007 5:40am.]
Reply Quote
4/22/2007 14:33
Um Ok lets say the cname is  z4.invisionfree.com what would the address be that it requires above that?

[This post has been edited by a_v_b_beerse_be on Apr 22, 2007 2:33pm.]
Reply Quote
4/22/2007 23:57
Set the CNAME subhost to be "boards", and the CNAME target to be "z4.invisionfree.com".

[This post has been edited by dynadot_staff on Apr 23, 2007 12:01am.]
Reply Quote
4/23/2007 00:03
Our IP tool is expecting a "www" subhost. So when setting your Dynadot DNS settings, make sure to enter "www" as one of your subhosts.
Reply Quote