Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Grace Deletion Fee
7/6/2007 14:51
Starting July 15, we will be implementing a 5 cent fee for ORG domains grace deleted in the first 5 days. The reason is that the central registry for ORG domains has implemented a new excess deletion fee:

http://www.pir.org/Publications/eNewsletter.aspx

The fee will not be charged to accounts that just delete a few ORG domains due to typos. It will only be charged to accounts that register and delete many ORG domains. Further details on how the fee will be charged will be coming soon.

Also, we are considering charging a 5 cent fee for all grace deletions, not just ORG. The reason is that some accounts are registering and deleting hundreds (or thousands) of domains, and it is placing a high load on our servers. Once again, accounts that just delete a few domains once in a while would not be charged this fee.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
7/6/2007 15:03
I think you guys are awesome. You seem to be the only place that offers grace deletions. If you have to charge something cause the registries are, I believe you and dont care. Whats 5 cents?

[This post has been edited by j_b_new york_us_1 on Jul 6, 2007 3:03pm.]
Reply Quote
Posted By owenw
7/6/2007 16:38
You should work out a threshold, eg. over 1,000 deletions a month get charged or something like that.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
7/6/2007 18:13
I would not object to 10-25cents subject to a cut in system based on say 5 deletions automatically per month plus 1 extra for every 10 registrations that go beyond the grace period and completed.

This is equal to a 10% deletion rate and to be honest anyone who is going over 10% are just system abusers while protecting a few legit errors from smaller users.
Reply Quote
7/7/2007 12:43
I think that this peoples that cancel 1000 domains daily bring you many money so I'm sure that if you will charge 0,05$ for each deletion your company will lost a lot of big customers as our.

[This post has been edited by a_r_rome_it on Jul 7, 2007 12:44pm.]
Reply Quote
7/9/2007 02:08
It is true that customers that delete a lot of domains have a big deposit with us. However, most of that deposit is sent to the central registries to cover the registrations/deletions. We charge you $6.99 for a domain. But $6 goes to the central registries. So you see we don't really benefit from the deposits.

For some accounts, we have to register and delete hundreds of domains, for every domain that is kept. We only make money on the kept domains. Not sure it is worth it for us given our slim profit margins.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply Quote
7/9/2007 04:09
I agree with "heklers" idea that while you need to protect the honest mistake you should be able to recover resiurse usage from those who abuse/take advantage of the system.

Most registrars don't even allow deletions, so a small fee for deletions seems fair
Reply Quote
7/9/2007 09:47
Will I get a mail stating this ?
Reply Quote
7/10/2007 00:15
Hi Dynadot Staff,

Here is a link I recvd today. The transaction fees have dropped again.

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-09jul07.htm

I think leaving the free grace deletion fee for domain other than org would be better.
Reply Quote
7/10/2007 19:41
Icann just lowered their fee again
I think this will be offset by the .org deletion fees etc.  I think 1000 a month should be the limit. over 1000 charge the fee. please don't lie to us. you did not lower prices or refund money when icann lowered pricing by 2-3 cents the first time.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
7/10/2007 20:03
[Quote from j_greenvale_us]

Icann just lowered their fee again
I think this will be offset by the .org deletion fees etc.  I think 1000 a month should be the limit. over 1000 charge the fee. please don't lie to us. you did not lower prices or refund money when icann lowered pricing by 2-3 cents the first time.

++++++++++++++++
Because DynaDot charges a complete fee (ie $6.99) they are not required to refund the few pathetic cents. Registrars like GoDaddy who charge $x.xx per domain PLUS the ICANN fee have to.

I don't care who you are (and I don't mean you personally) 1000 is over the top. We register between 1600 and 1900 domains a months internationally across various registrars and TLD's and we would not deleted more that 20 a month.

Registrants who are doing domain tasting are leeches on resources and should be charges accordingly. Want a service pay for it.

I stated earlier that a fair system would be 5 deletions automatically per month plus 1 extra for every 10 registrations that go beyond the grace period and are completed.

This is equal to a 10% deletion rate and to be honest anyone who is going over 10% are just system abusers.
After that 10-20 cents is not an unfair amount per deletion.

[This post has been edited by hekler on Jul 10, 2007 8:09pm.]
Reply Quote