Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Grace Deletion Fee
7/6/2007 14:51
Starting July 15, we will be implementing a 5 cent fee for ORG domains grace deleted in the first 5 days. The reason is that the central registry for ORG domains has implemented a new excess deletion fee:

http://www.pir.org/Publications/eNewsletter.aspx

The fee will not be charged to accounts that just delete a few ORG domains due to typos. It will only be charged to accounts that register and delete many ORG domains. Further details on how the fee will be charged will be coming soon.

Also, we are considering charging a 5 cent fee for all grace deletions, not just ORG. The reason is that some accounts are registering and deleting hundreds (or thousands) of domains, and it is placing a high load on our servers. Once again, accounts that just delete a few domains once in a while would not be charged this fee.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
7/11/2007 01:59
Allowing Dynadot to charge a restocking fee for grace period deletions is madness and will see a lot of clients move to other registrars which charge a lower restocking fee or zero fee.

Dynadot are gaining many new registrations for zero cost to themselves other than funds being removed from their registry deposit and replaced when the domain is dropped.

Lets face it, millions of domains have been registered over the last two years which wouldn`t have been registered if the add grace period was being charged by Icann.  Hence the reason Icann are reluctant to come forward and charge a fee.

My vote goes for ZERO FEE, Keep Dynadot a customer based registrar.

Dynadot keep offering a zero restocking fee, you will make a larger profit come next year when the thousands of domains which would never have been registered was it not for the free grace period will be renewed.
Reply Quote
7/11/2007 02:58
Come on Dynadot! THINK ABOUT IT! Thats the whole reason we signed up to you in the first place! ..plus the reason why we've got 4 accounts in total with you! With a combined total of $4000 between them AND GROWING!!! (and why we've left positive feedback about you in Forums across the Internet & not forgettig all our friends we've referred)......Thats roughly $500 you've made from us in 3 months!! times that by 4 and that makes $2000 per year you make from us, and thats not including the current growth rate, that figure could even be double!! You stand to loose that and more if you change your successful business model!

You'd be totally mad to introduce a fee across the board for all domains, (you'd loose us as customers, PLUS loads more people) i can undertand if your being passed on the fee from the registrar, but not to volentarily introduce it.

I think the best solution would be to intriduce a MAX LIMIT on deletions, E.G: 1000 per month.

I would love to hear from other people out there who use the free deletion as the reason why they use Dynadot.. (I bet between us we're worth alot of money)

INTRODUCE A LIMIT OR LOSE OUR BUSINESS!
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
7/11/2007 04:25
[Quote from s_newcastle_gb]

With a combined total of $4000 between them AND GROWING!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is on average around 500-600 domains. You say this is over 3 months. Why if you are legit do you need to ask for a credit of over 1000 domains a month.

Get a life try and take back 30 toasters a day!! If over 3 months you have averaged 200 domains a month and you think if you ask for a credit for 1000+ domains that's realistic you really need to sit in the corner. No wonder RegistryFly went belly up cow towing to people who wanted free unlimited deletions. Look who's the next target

Time to take out few hundred domains away before we get caught up in the fall out caused by these system abusers.

While I previously beleived 10% was a fair deal I'm starting to realise that there are only a few system screwers here and maybe it should be at 2% of completed domain registrations

Lets be real - habitual domain tasters are addicts - no addict should be humored.

However being one to see both sides here is a compromise. You want grace period deletion for free? No problems - wait 7 days for the credit. Anythingelse pay a fee.

[This post has been edited by hekler on Jul 11, 2007 4:28am.]
Reply Quote
7/11/2007 06:02
Hekler I wish you would take your 300 domains away from Dynadot just so you wouldn`t turn every opinion into an arguement.

The guy obviously has a different business model to you, so why would you stick your nose into something you are not involved in ?  Could it be you don`t have the talent nor knowledge on how to taste domains succesfully so feel frustrated and want to clamp down on other peoples business ?

The bottom line is Dynadot get free deletions from the registry so why should they charge for something which uses very little system resources, costs zero, and provide more registrations for them.

Take your arguement to Icann and you might get somewhere.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
7/11/2007 07:02
Well actually DynaDot asked for opinions and I gave it. You on the other hand have decided that any opinion that does not fall inline with your model should not count. My point is that I do my research beforehand and do not need to delete domains because I make an effort at my expense rather than add costs to others like a leach.

Bottom line is nobody objects to domain tasting but when it gets to a level where there are more domains deleteed than registered by these leaches that tells you something

Further no resourse is free. Somewhere, someone is paying for it or do you give handouts at your front door to everyone that knocks? If so good on ya - we actually need more like you in the world

Finally as against the way you approached this I have never attacked an individual for his views but have just fairly placed my views. Is it not amazing that those who abuse a great free service the most bleat the most when somebody (including the provider of said service) suggest away to protect the vast majority of users?

Where do you get the figure that we have 300 domains here. I think you must have someone else in mind as we have considerably more than 300 across all accounts and regardless of that our deletion ration is well under 2% and mostly for typos. Further based on previous posts I'm surprised your still a client of DynaDot given you never seem to be happy

[This post has been edited by hekler on Jul 11, 2007 7:18am.]
Reply Quote
7/11/2007 20:48
are you dumb or did you not read my post?

I am comparing them charging us for .org deltions vs the money they are no longer paying to icann.    5 cents   = 5 cents.  it is a wash

in fact they are retaining more money now as less people register .org's..

yes to dynadot CENTS do matter - they are passing the costs on to us but still making us pay 5 extra cents.  yes having thousands do add up when you do nickel by nickel

dynadot the reason why you are so popular is because of your refund policy- 5 day credit.  Make bad changes that the consumers hate and see your reputation fall..

lets face it...
your parking stinks - you pay below average and come on who wants credit in form of payment.
your customer service is bad - sometimes takes 3 days for a response.

stick to what you're good at -  a domain registrar

[This post has been edited by j_greenvale_us on Jul 11, 2007 8:51pm.]

[This post has been edited by j_greenvale_us on Jul 11, 2007 8:51pm.]
Reply Quote
7/11/2007 21:46
Thank you everyone for the feedback so far. Just a reminder, let's keep to the topic, and not make personal attacks.

Perhaps it would help to explain why we are proposing a deletion fee. The deletion activity is starting to dwarf the regular registration activity. It is causing a heavy strain to our systems. Soon we will be making major structural changes to our databases and codebase, mostly because of the surge of deletion activity. That costs time and money.

A question to those that delete a lot: what effect would a small deletion fee have on your business? Just curious. If 5 cents is too much, what would a fair fee be?

Also, can you think of an alternative method that is better for you than a deletion fee.

Finally, we appreciate the business all of you have brought to us, through word of mouth. We are not trying to drive any customers away. Hopefully we can find a solution that everyone is happy with.

[This post has been edited by dynadot_staff on Jul 11, 2007 9:58pm.]
Reply Quote
7/12/2007 02:20
Well after speaking to my Italian partners last night, if Dynadot introduced a deletion fee, we may aswell transfer all our domains to GoDaddy, as their registry connection is faster.

Seriously, if you want to keep us, dont charge a deletion fee, (have a max limit instead).

...and Heckler, im not interested in your comments any more. Rant & rave all you want, i will skip your posts.

p.s: dont be a hippocrate

=======
Posted By Heckler: (Reply #15)

"Finally as against the way you approached this I have never attacked an individual for his views"

Posted By Heckler: (Reply #13)

"Get a life try and take back 30 toasters a day!!"

"you really need to sit in the corner."
Reply Quote
7/12/2007 13:54
I've considered joining Dynadot mostly because the grace deletion fee was 0 and because of the API.

If you raise it, I see no incentive in joining even more so since the delete command still hasn't been added to the API.

The latter is what I'm waiting for to prepay $500 into my account and start buying domain names.

[This post has been edited by g_m_montreal_ca on Jul 12, 2007 1:54pm.]
Reply Quote
7/13/2007 00:56
Same here. I started here with $ 7.99 initially. Now I have pumped more money to taste domains. And gradually it is gonna increase as long as I get free deletion.

I wouldn't worry too much abouth the .org but if you will propose this for all TLD's then I think, would have to choose another registrar.
Reply Quote