Need support for your Dynadot domains, websites, or one of our tools? Use our help article directory to find the resources you need or contact our support team to get further assistance.
What are the steps involved in the domain transfer process?
There are a few "prep steps" we recommend doing before you start the domain transfer process, followed by the "next steps" outlined below:
- Make sure your domain is older than 60 days, i.e. has been registered longer than 60 days and has not been transferred within the last 60 days.
- Make sure your domain is not about to expire. Although the transfer may go through even if your domain expires during it, there is no guarantee that will be the case. We recommend initiating the domain transfer at least 2 weeks before the expiration date.
- Double check that your Whois email address is accurate and accessible. This is where we will send the transfer authorization email. If you can't get to this email to authorize the transfer, the process will be not be able to complete.
- Submit a domain transfer order for the domain or domains (we also offer bulk transfers) you wish to transfer.
- Once we have received payment, we will do a Whois lookup for your domain. Then we will send you an email to authorize the domain transfer to the email address listed in the Whois. This is to prevent a domain from being transferred without the domain owner's permission.
- Your previous registrar may contact you to confirm the domain transfer. If you want the domain transfer to continue, tell them yes, you authorized the transfer.
- Your previous registrar approves the transfer. The central registry changes the registrar for your domain to Dynadot. We add the domain to your account and notify you through email.
Transfers can take anywhere from 5-15 days, depending on how fast each step can be completed.