Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Lower API usage cost/requirement
10/2/2011 16:32
Hi,

I think 500$ per year is a large requirement for API usage as it discourages small and medium hosting business owners from embracing Dynadot as a vendor.

I would like to propose to lower the entry bar, or plainly remove it to allow small hosters to use your API services. For example, Rackspace and Linode offer free access to their API's, which is a fresh and encouraging initiative. I think Dynadot falls in the same line of service providers in terms of quality, so it would make sense to offer the same.

If the limitation was implemented to prevent abuse, an API key could be used to control usage.

[This post has been edited by creationmw on Oct 2, 2011 4:32pm.]
Reply Quote
10/3/2011 10:07
I think so,
reducing the min yearly spent to access the API will not only encourage small businesses to grow, but will help Dynadot to have a long-term customers.
Reply Quote
10/18/2011 16:32
Unless I'm mistaken, Rackspace and Linode are both Hosting Companies.  I don't believe they offer domain Registration.  

I've researched this in the past and it may have changed since then, but I'm not sure that any Registrars offer "free" API access.
Reply Quote
10/21/2011 09:11
Enom, Directi, Namecheap, Opensrs and many others
Reply Quote
10/21/2011 17:09
"Enom, Directi, Namecheap, Opensrs"

Only one of those offers free API access.  The others charge set up fees (which are not applied to your account as a balance).  

All of them charge more than us, even at their cheapest, while some charge more than our regular prices.

We could consider adding more tiers, but that may change prices.  IE, a lower deposit would get a smaller discount.

[This post has been edited by dynadot_staff on Oct 21, 2011 5:14pm.]
Reply Quote
1/10/2012 17:31
The API is now available to all customers regardless of pricing level.  :)

You still, however, will need to pre-fund your account before you can make purchases.

[This post has been edited by dynadot_staff on Jan 10, 2012 5:32pm.]
Reply Quote
1/10/2012 23:35
I've done a lot of research on the "free API" registrars.  Thus far, none of them have been what they seem.  Fabulous has long offered "free API" underneath a scam where they charge people not placed in a reseller bracket 25$/domain.

I would like to commend Dynadot's efforts on behalf of all the Expired Domain Snatchers out there in helping to deliver this unprecedented service of free API.

And I ask all of you rookie drop-catchers out there to please not abuse the API.  When you build a drop-catcher, you do not use the API for WHOIS availability polling, you use it for instant registration when availability is determined :)
Reply Quote
1/19/2012 20:58
The API is now available to all customers regardless of pricing level?!

Great, I will now create 5.000 Dynadot accounts and turn the API useless for everyone.

[This post has been edited by lidador on Jan 19, 2012 9:00pm.]
Reply Quote
1/22/2012 12:12
Congrats lidador you already screwed it up for the rest of us
Reply Quote