Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
API limit questions
1/26/2010 15:56
Hi everybody! :)

I have just signed up to use dynadot API to catch some expired names (as probably couple other members :) ).

I have such a question. I have checked API page here
http://www.dynadot.com/domain/api.html
and found only 1 limitation

For COM/NET domains, you can only check or register the same domain 10 times every 100 seconds.

Does it mean, that
1. English is not my native language, so I am a bit confused. I can try to check domain name xxx.com each 11 seconds during whole drop day? OR I can check it only 10 times with 100 seconds interval between each check?
2. As I understand there are no limitations for different domains count? So if I try to catch xxx1.com, xxx2.com, xxx3.com - each one will have own limit described in question 1?
3. As I understand only com/net domains have such limitations? Other zones have no limits at all?
4. Do you have some kind of cache in the API implementation? I mean, if there are 10 seconds cache its useless to generate check requests with faster rate.

Thanks in advance for all your answers.
Reply Quote
1/26/2010 18:21
1. English is not my native language, so I am a bit confused. I can try to check domain name xxx.com each 11 seconds during whole drop day? OR I can check it only 10 times with 100 seconds interval between each check?

After 100 seconds have passed, you can search 10 more times.

If you spaced the requests out over 10 second intervals, you could search for xxx.com once every 10 seconds all day.  

2. As I understand there are no limitations for different domains count? So if I try to catch xxx1.com, xxx2.com, xxx3.com - each one will have own limit described in question 1?

That is correct.

You could search for those back to back without any delay between search/result.

3. As I understand only com/net domains have such limitations? Other zones have no limits at all?

Well, you do need to wait for a response from our API before sending a new query, but other than that, the other extensions don't have any restrictions.  

4. Do you have some kind of cache in the API implementation? I mean, if there are 10 seconds cache its useless to generate check requests with faster rate.

I don't believe we have a cache.
Reply Quote
1/26/2010 22:22
Thanks for the your answers. I have one more question though.

Well, you do need to wait for a response from our API before sending a new query, but other than that, the other extensions don't have any restrictions.  

Yes, I understand that. However I am going to build multi-thread application - is it allowed (different threads will check different domains)? Or should I use only 1 thread to dynadot API?
Reply Quote