Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Redirect help
2/12/2021 13:52
Hello!

Big picture goal: I'm trying to move my Blogger blog to a new domain. Right now my blog is at www.lunalindsey.com and it will be going to www.corbden.

Zooming in: Before I do that, I'm testing in reverse before I make the change "in production." So the blog is still at www.lunalindsey.com, and I'm testing to see if www.corbden.com URLs will point there. It is my impression that if I make a CNAME record going from www.corbden.com >> www.lunalindsey.com, it should redirect the full URL, not just the domain. What's happening now is (with the CNAME record), http://www.corbden.com/2013/10/splines-theory-spoons-metaphor-for.html goes to a Google Error and keeps the same URL (including domain name) in the address bar. It's not doing either behavior I expected, neither resolving to the root of lunalindsey.com nor loading the full URL at the www.lunalindsey.com domain. Somehow we're getting to google (blogger) but not to the www.lunalindsey.com/2013/10/splines-theory-spoons-metaphor-for.html NOR to www.lunalindsey.com, where the actual content is. i.e. the redirect only seems to be partially happening. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply Quote
2/16/2021 12:55
Never mind. I think the issue is that Google (Blogger) is not doing what it should to allow the CNAME to redirect to the right path. And a 301 FORWARD won't work, because that resolves to the root of the domain, not the full URL. I think I'm going to have to copy the blog, move it, recreate the blog at the old domain, import the old blog, then create a a redirect header (hopefully I can just do one that will apply to every page).
Reply Quote
4/7/2021 09:21
HI I’m glad you were able to find a solution for this. As you were able to see, forwarding the whole website is not possible as you can only forward the root.
Reply Quote