Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
MX Records - help
Posted By j_m_us
7/2/2007 11:18
hi guys

Sorry if i'm sounding totally stupid but im at a loss here

I have no idea really how this works but im trying to setup email address for my domain and figured it must be somthin to do with the MX Records.

Lets say my domain is "domain.com"

I want to be able to send and receive email from "[email protected]" but dont really understand how to do this.

I have been reading some results on google but i feel im getting more confused.

My set up is apache web server, php, mysql, xmail on winxp this is a complete installation package supplied by Apache2triad.

my site is working fine apart from the mail side.

From what i have read there are to things i can do

1. redirect mail to an existing email address
2. send to mail server (Hopefully my own hosted)

i would like info on both.

I have setup an A records for "mail.domain.com" to point to an IP address then i have setup an "MX Record" for "mail.domain.com" my problem now is what to do next!

I have no idea how to configure my server to handle this

any help would be great
Reply Quote
Posted By raph
7/2/2007 22:34
Basically now you need to get your server to know that it needs to listen for emails for your domain. If your running xmail, try visiting www.xmailserver.org and you should be able to get help for that particular application there.
Reply Quote
Posted By j_m_us
7/3/2007 01:29
lol

thats no help i have tried there forum it sux.

i need to know if i need to configure apache in some way like add a virtual host for the "mail.domain.com" or something
Reply Quote
7/9/2007 01:47
Also, you do not need an mx record if your mail server is at the same ip address as your web server.

Just set your domain to use your Dynadot DNS, and enter an ip address for your domain.

Now set up a mail server on your server.
Reply Quote