Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
How to adding a PTR record to DNS
5/3/2014 23:44
Dear Team,

We are in configuring Mail Server and we would like to add a PTR record to our DNS aim against Spam Scope.
So please kindly help to guide us to do adding this record.

Many thanks,
Reply Quote
Posted By ocelot
3/3/2015 08:32
In case it helps others in a similar situation: I have just discovered that PTR (and so reverse DNS) records are specified at the IP block, not the domain.  That makes sense, of course, since the PTR record points to a domain from an IP, rather than the other way around.

Apparently my server host (who own the IP) should be able to add the PTR record for me.

I'm not having issues with Gmail for the time being, so I'm going to just leave things as they are.  But if I hit any more problems I'll see about getting the PTR record added at my host and will report back here.
Reply Quote
3/4/2015 05:04
Thank you for your post ocelot.

I hope you continue to have no issue with Gmail.
Reply Quote
11/4/2015 08:19
Add me to the list of those who run mail servers on domains using Dynadot to manage DNS. We need PTR records. Mail is getting silently dropped from a widening variety of destinations.
Reply Quote
11/5/2015 13:36
Thank you for your request.
Reply Quote
8/1/2016 10:36
PTR records required here as well.
Emails ending to spam folder.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
Posted By ocelot
9/7/2016 13:29
Just to update everyone on my post from over a year ago: I did get this sorted properly, with PTR records, by asking my server host (Linode) to add them.  So if anyone is in the same boat - ask whoever hosts your server for help.  I don't think there's anything that Dynadot can do here at all, even theoretically (though it would be nice if one of their technical staff would confirm).
Reply Quote
9/21/2016 18:49
We appreciate your help tips and do apologize for the inconvenience. I will suggest our team the PTR adding feature. Again, thanks for sharing your skills.
Reply Quote
9/28/2016 20:32
Thanks for all the attention on this issue. We have contacted our engineer team and looks like the PTR record has to be provided by the company that supplies the IP address for the customer. That is to say, if you are using third party hosting, you could still set other DNS records with Dynadot but for the PTR record, it will still need to be done with the hosting's side. If you use Dynadot VPS, we can provide a PTR record with the ip address you need to set it up for.
Reply Quote
5/3/2017 13:12
Not only Gmail and AOL, but an ISP you may have heard of, Comcast, bounces email for lack of a PTR record:

----------------
554 - [PTR lookup failure]        Comcast requires all sending mail server IP addresses have a valid PTR record set up. This error results when the lookup failed.

NXDOMAIN response. One of the authoritative servers for the relevant section of the in-addr.arpa DNS tree is saying that there is no PTR record for the given IP address.

----------------

FEATURE REQUEST!

-NK
Reply Quote
5/9/2017 00:41
Looks like you are using a third party name server. The PTR  record needs to be set up from the hosting's side. You may want to contact them to see where the issue is.
Reply Quote