Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
A-Record and name server customization issues
1/11/2007 07:40
Hello...

I am trying to set the A-Record for my domains using the name servers at my web host. Just using their name server is pointing to the wrong IP for my website. I need to set the A-record to a specific IP within that name server.

I tried to use the A-Record settings, but it then switches my name servers to dynadot.com.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

...Nancy
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
1/11/2007 07:57
What is it you are trying to do - your question is a little round about.

Are you trying to set your name server as in ns.dynadot.com or are you trying to set an 'A' record at your DNS server?
Reply Quote
1/11/2007 08:04
I need my domain to point to a specific IP, but in setting the A-record it changes my name servers to dynadot.com.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
1/11/2007 08:22
Who is your registrar?

At the registrar you can change the name of the Nameservers that are queried by for your A records.

Example

Your domain is called mydomain.com
Your registrar is myregistrar.com
Your hosting company is myhost.com

Normally at your registrar you will set your nameservers to the name servers of your hosting company and they will look something like this
ns1.myhost.com  and  ns2.myhost.com

At your hosting company you will then set (subject to access) your sub domains etc to an IP that is to be targeted.

www    203.206.000.012  A

Does this help?

[This post has been edited by e_h_rochedale south_au on Jan 11, 2007 8:24am.]
Reply Quote
1/11/2007 08:55
Domain: tpsoftball.com
Registrar: dynadot
Hosting company: GoDaddy

name servers are set to godaddy.
i want to point to a specific IP at godaddy using their name servers.

This is not a subdomain, it's a pointer to a data folder beneath my root domain.

GoDaddy tells me to set my A-Record to the IP addy of the root web server. I can't seem to do that without my name servers changing to dynadot.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
1/11/2007 09:21
I have just looked up your whois record and according to that your name servers are

ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

The first thing to do is go into your DynaDot account and reset your nameservers to the GoDaddy name servers. Go Daddy will have given you these details when you got the hosting account.

That will now tell the world where your 'A' and mail records are. On memory GoDaddy NS's are

NS1.SECURESERVER.NET
NS2.SECURESERVER.NET

Once you do this most of the changes you make in your hosting account at GoDaddy are automated. GoDaddy's help and forums should supply all the answers you need there as your registrar only points to where you keep things.

To set your nameservers at DynaDot follow these instructions

On the Account Summary page, look for the "Domain Summary" box. Click the "manage domains" link in the upper right corner of the box. This takes you to the Manage Domain Names page.
Click on the link listed in the "Name Server" column. After the page loads, you should see your current name server choice close to the top of the page.
Scroll down to the "Other Choices" section and find the "Name Servers" section.
There are two ways to set your name servers:
To add new name servers, look at Option 1. Enter your two name servers in the provided text boxes, and then click the "Enter Name Servers" button to save your changes.

If you have already entered the name servers for another domain and would like to re-use them, look at Option 2. Choose the name servers from the drop down menus (you can choose up to 10 different name servers), and then click the "Select Name Servers" button to save your changes.

Please be aware that it might take some time for your changes to propagate upto 12 hours as a rule so dont rush things
Reply Quote
1/11/2007 10:15
Once I have the name servers, I then need to point the domains at a specific IP address, as per GoDaddy.

How do I do that?
Reply Quote
1/11/2007 10:28
> Once I have the name servers, I then need to point the domains at a
> specific IP address, as per GoDaddy.
>
> How do I do that?

Your question is confusing because you said that GoDaddy is supplying your webhosting.  Shouldn't they know the IP address of your web server?

Usually the IP address they are referring to is the IP address of the web server that is serving your domain.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
1/11/2007 10:35
Okay I see you have now got the nameservers setup. (Did you confirm that the se where the correct nameservers for your hosting account?)

Next thing is to log into your GoDaddy hosting account. Once you are logged in you want to go to your control panel. Now all this is on memory as I have not used GoDaddy for a year or 2.

Under the menu item "hosting & Servers" the first item should be "My Hosting Account" or something like that.

Once you select that Your domain record(s) should be listed with a link that says "Open"

On memory a new window will open for the "Hosting Manager"

One of the items listed is the "DNS manager" Select this and a new window shoup open with the DNS manager.

This is where you create "A" records for your DNS.

Now all this is from memory as this is a Host specific problem/issue.

I am also afraid this is the last reply to this from me for the next 10 hours as it is 4.30am Jan 12th here in Brisbane - Australia and I'm calling quits for now.

I hope all this helps

Eric

[This post has been edited by e_h_rochedale south_au on Jan 11, 2007 10:37am.]
Reply Quote
1/11/2007 11:00
Okay so now I can adjust the A-Record for my root domain, so here's where I'm at:

"Multiple Domains
You can point multiple domain names to your hosting content by adding them to your hosting account. In addition, each domain can support subdomains of its own.

Adding a Domain
To add a domain to your hosting account, select it from the Domain drop-down list or type a domain name that is not available in the list. In the Domain Hosting Path drop-down list, specify where the conent for domain resides. This can be any content directory on your hosting site."

The root domain is fine. I don't need to change the IP in the DNS Manager area. What I can't control, is the A-Record for the "Multiple Domains" (one of which is tpsoftball.com). The "content directory" exists and is working if I hit it directly through the root domain.

Getting these pointers to work is the problem, and that's where GoDaddy has told me to change the A-Record with my registrar. They said they could do it if I transferred my domains there, but I simply don't want to do that.

Thanks for your insights, by the way.

-nancy
Reply Quote
1/16/2007 06:48
Just an update for anyone else trying to do this. For this scenario, in particular, I am hosting one website account with GoDaddy. Within that account, I am specifying content directories for five domain names.

In order for each content directory to act like its own website via a URL like www.domainname.com, the A-Record must be set at the domain registrar level to point to the primary domain's IP address used by GoDaddy. This IP addy is specified in the account settings via the GoDaddy control panel.

Using Dynadot as the registrar, the A-Record is specified and the Dynadot name servers are used along with the GoDaddy IP address in order to route traffic appropriately.

My content directories at GoDaddy are simply multiple FrontPage sub-webs that I can manage independently. All my sites have low traffic requirements, so sharing one hosting account is ideal and extremely cost-effective.

I'm glad I got this working! *whew*
Reply Quote