Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Using InternetExplorer for FTP
7/28/2012 22:12
I have found out that you can use InternetExplorer for FTP, and would like to know how to set it up for use with my Dynadot web hostings.

With IE, I get a directory page for the website just like having a window open showing the contents on your C: drive or F:pendrive or etc.  You drag across items just like to transfer between two pen or disc drives via your own PCs 'my computer'.  You just need to log into a remote server via IE to get it.

I already use this for webhosting elsewhere, but not yet for here.

Could I get some advice on how to set up IE-FTP for use with my Dynadot webhostings please?
Reply Quote
7/28/2012 22:15
Further to the simple drag and drop feature, I have found it hard to track the many websites I have, so I have created a HTML page with all their links on that one page. Just open it up in IE, click on the link and I do directly into the directory of the right web hosting.

Naturally, I would value having access to ALL web hostings via this method.

Have added a nice little javascript/DOM/cookie feature where, when I click on one, its label changes to another color. Stays that way until I click on 'clear all'.  This function is fantastic if I say need to update one particular page across all websites.  Spend an afternoon clicking on one at a time to transfer to one at a time, all at the same time keeping track at which ones I have done so far.
Reply Quote
7/29/2012 14:26
We'll need some time to look into this. For now,  you can use an FTP client to access your webspace.
Reply Quote
8/1/2012 17:48
Thanks for your patience.  Instead of a url like http://www.dynadot.com try ftp://user@host where the user is the ftp username and host is the hostname.
Reply Quote
8/2/2012 21:36
I always use the ftp:// for using the FTP via Internet Explorer.

When you say 'user name' do you mean...
...the name which appears in my posts for here in the forum
...Or the user name I use to log into Dynadot with

When you say 'host name' I guess you mean the domain name of the web hosting.

I have 12 different hostings here with Dynadot.
Reply Quote
8/3/2012 15:32
The username will be listed on your Basic Hosting Summary page.  Generally, it is your domain name with the 'www' in front of it.
Reply Quote
8/4/2012 19:01
So, where my web hosting is mydomain.com

Which do I need to do ...

ftp://[email protected]
Or
ftp://[email protected]

I had tried both, but got the error

'windows can not access this folder make sure you have permission to use this folder.

Reason:connection to the server was reset.'
Reply Quote
8/5/2012 11:16
Use the host name listed in your FTP info box.  Since you are using Basic Hosting, this should be 'webhost.dynadot.com'
Reply Quote
8/11/2012 18:25
I have tried it, and had been somewhat successful with each of a number of websites.

I got into the web hosting, and got that drag and drop zone, just like I am trying to do/get.

I do have a few websites, currently 12 and hope closer to 20 soon.

It seems like InternetExplorer only sees the text to the right of the @ symbool, therefore site #1 of mine is the same as site #2 and site #3 of mine.

After doing site #2, site #3 and up to I think site #5, I chose to see if IE would remember #1 if I went back to that one again.  Sadly no it did not.  It prompted me for the log in details of site #5.

I understand this to be more of an issue with IE than with Dynadot, but it would be handy if I can just use 'mydomain.com' rather than mydomain.com@dynadot

There has been one major step forward in this so far, as I can now use the IE FTP for the websites I have with Dynadot.
Reply Quote
8/11/2012 18:35
Ok, I have one advancement to report....

...went back to site #1 again and....

while I got the username for site #5, I had to type in the username/url for site #1, wondering if IE would remember the password from before.

Answer = Yes it did.  So that is something positive.

But for lazy old me, I had to type in the username/url again into the log in box.  The idea of my html/ftp directory page is that I can click on a link, and does all of that for me.
Reply Quote