Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Reseller program
11/3/2006 08:03
That's for the great work so far. It's been very satisfactory to have my domains and websites hosted here. You can be assured that I'll be transfering quite a number of my domain names from another registrar to Dynadot as the dates near for their expiry.

I would like to know if Dynadot has a domain registration reseller program? Interested because I am running a domains trading site and the opportunity to offer domain registration as a reseller might come in handy.

Thanks

Ron
Reply Quote
11/3/2006 16:01
We currently do not offer a domain registration reseller program, though we have considered it.  We may consider it again in the future.
Reply QuoteHide Replies
j_g_cali_co_1 replied teamdynadot :4/30/2021 06:36
but it is a very, very distant future, because this answer was on 2006 and now is 2021. 15 years have passed and nothing. That is not something that you are thinking of doing, because if in 15 years they have not done it, they will not do it, it will be necessary to look for a provider that does offer this solution
Reply Quote
11/4/2006 06:52
Hello,

We would certainly buy a reseller account if you offer.
It would be good that you also set up API system for auto-registration, that our clients can register via our website.

Thanks,
Reply Quote
Posted By kate
11/5/2006 15:05
I am interested too. A reseller program would be great.
I have reseller accounts with other registrars but I have to say Dynadot looks solid and reliable. I have more than 250 domains here and will be transfering more.

I am no longer using my reseller account at a large registrar because they are not so dependable and they do not have a lot of payment options. Dynadot offers several payment options which is a good thing.
Reply Quote
11/6/2006 15:11
We have not created a reseller program for a few reasons. Currently we are focused on the retail market, selling directly to consumers. If we started a reseller program, we would be selling to other businesses. These are two different business models; B2C versus B2B.

Secondly, if we created a reseller program, we would be competing directly with our resellers. A reseller could sell a domain to a customer. When the customer does a whois lookup, they will see our a link to www.dynadot.com. They may want to transfer their business directly to Dynadot.

Finally, we would have to add an API to our system, so people could integrate their websites with our registration platform. Also we would have to redesign our account area, to have sub-accounts for each customer.

Any thoughts on these issues?
Reply Quote
Posted By kate
11/7/2006 14:01
"Secondly, if we created a reseller program, we would be competing directly with our resellers".

So you have resellers ?

Well have a think about it.
In the meantime the API would be great to expedite registrations for our own use.
Reply Quote
11/8/2006 11:48
We do not have resellers, but if we did, we would be competing with them since we both would be selling to the same consumers.
Reply Quote
11/29/2006 14:00
Re Competition with Resellers: There must be some way to do it, put your marketing hat on, perhaps if the reseller were to get some sort of control and/or maintenance ability. Maybe you need to provide resellers with the ability to add value -- for issues that you haven't done yet, or don't have time for. I'm not sure. But frankly, just the privilege of using your extremely efficient system is enough for me. Really, most registrar systems suck eggs. And if they don't, there's always something they do that turns me off & drives me away.

Re Sub Accounts: I have a number of my customers on sub accounts "below" mine at DomainSite.com. This enables me to keep the whois records looking pretty & passing the sniff test. The typical customer is never going to do that, because they're too busy to keep track of another password & learn another interface. I've never signed an agreement with DomainSite, I don't think they have one. I just bring them business that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. However! Their system has extremely sluggish response at times -- making it very-very-very painful to use. I would go elsewhere if I knew of a place, and felt comfortable there, and if their marketing people didn't inflict pain on me. One thing I really like about DomainSite's sub account feature is, if a customer is logged into a subaccount, their screen shows them that they are the sub account of another account, making this transparent & up-front is important to me. So perhaps if you take a look at this as an opportunity, rather than a drawback.

There is a type of customer out that that's different. Saving a few bucks a year per domain is important when you have zillion domains, but not a deal breaker when they only have 3 or 4. I think a customer likes to "know" who they're dealing with. Most of the time when I've moved domains over there it was no problem, I say to the customer  I think we should move them, they say OK, just do it. And I bill them myself. I mark them up to a flat $10 per year, they know I made some money on it, they never care, they're just glad to not be burdened with another tech issue. And I'm glad to know if I get hit by a truck, that they're all setup on their own sub account. I think I'm doing an ethical thing.

Frankly I've never wanted to resell domains, I just wanted the whois records to be pretty, and the domains to be with a solid registrar.

BTW, most of the domains that I've moved to DomainSite have been from NetSol. They're just hostile to deal with, they look at me as a nuisance. I mean I realize they're just looking out for the owner of the domain, but the end result is that the whois records look like crap, which reflects on me. It seems like the only way to fix a NetSol whois, is to just move it to another registrar.

Oh, there is one other thing at DomainSite that really burns me, and it's the reason I'm sleeping around these days. There's no way to change one whois record, and have it reflect on many domains. When you try it, some of the TLDs get updated, but others don't -- usually these are the TLDs where the registry keeps contact info -- such as info, biz & us, and so on. So all I want to do is keep the records up to date, and I have to individually hand edit each domain -- on a SLUGGISH SYSTEM. What takes 2 minutes at NetSol, takes 2 hours at DomainSite. Both have their warts. But that's what I'm doing here.

You know I just thought of something else that I should have said here...

First of all, I'll start with the premise that almost all registrars are credible. So credible in fact that I provide my "real" name to them. And without batting an eye I hand over financial information, so I can pay them for their services. Even ms doesn't have my financial information, and I don't trust them by the way. But I trust all of the registrars I deal with, every one of them.

My second premise is that all marketing people are evil, dirt sucking skumbags. They won't sell you product A unless you submit to their demand to "force" product B on you. Why? Because the marketing manager wants to sit on the john with printouts of all the customers they've got locked in. That's why.

They say, "By God, you can't participate in our revenue parking system, our web hosting service, our dns product, or anything else unless you've got the domain registered through us." And I ask why? Why not just let the customer pick & choose which of your services to use on which domains? I realize every other registrar does it, but why shouldn't DynaDot be different. It's a marketing decision, that's why. Look, now! Really! I'm not going to move all my domains over to you, and you're only forcing me to look elsewhere for the services that you're best at. If DynaDot really wants to p*** off the competition, you should design each service so that it can be used on a piecemeal basis. Be a thorn in the side of your competition, not your customers. This is an approach that no other registrar is taking. Do it and you will have millions of customers, and be rich, and famous.

[This post has been edited by chuckster on Dec 2, 2006 11:13am.]
Reply Quote
11/30/2006 12:27
Hi,

For the moment we think that developing an API system for auto-registration, that our clients can register via our website is really urgent and needed !

We would certainly buy a reseller account if you offer.

Thanks,

[This post has been edited by m_c_azazga_dz on Nov 30, 2006 12:27pm.]
Reply Quote
11/30/2006 23:48
We have carefully read all the posts in this thread. It seems like many of you here run your own website/domain related businesses. You help your customers get domain names.

You know that the best way to help your customer is to get them their own account at an ICANN accredited registrar. This way they are the legal owner of the domain, and also they can take over management of their domains someday if necesary.

However, your customers also don't want (or don't have the time/expertise) to manage their own domains. So you manage the domains for them. So what you are asking for is tools (API, sub-accounts) to make your job easier.

Is this a fair description of the situation?
Reply Quote
Posted By c-web
12/1/2006 11:05
I don't see the need that people have to resell names. Just get accredited and sell them. Although, I do see the need for an API. I recently emailed the support about automatically registering names, and the referred me to this topic. In my email, I asked:

"What I'm trying to do is make a dropped domain catcher. I have all my code worked out to see what are good names, and what should be regged. But, most of the time I'm not fast enough to get them. I have it set up to a cron job on my server, and emails me when a good one comes up for normal registration. So, I was wondering, if I put a prepay of let's say $500 into my account... would it be possible to submit it to be regged through dynadot with that prepay? I mean, I could make it request the regging pages, fake cookies, and make it all complicated like that, but that would be really insecure, unstable, and hard to code.
So, I was wondering if you have an API or something that I could use? Or I could make it load a URL to register a name for me? I know eNom has a service like that, but I really don't want to switch."

I think having an API as such would be a good idea, but reselling sounds bad.
Reply Quote