Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Reseller program
11/3/2006 08:03
That's for the great work so far. It's been very satisfactory to have my domains and websites hosted here. You can be assured that I'll be transfering quite a number of my domain names from another registrar to Dynadot as the dates near for their expiry.

I would like to know if Dynadot has a domain registration reseller program? Interested because I am running a domains trading site and the opportunity to offer domain registration as a reseller might come in handy.

Thanks

Ron
Reply Quote
12/1/2006 13:36
> dynadot_staff said...
> So what you are asking for is tools (API, sub-accounts)
> to make your job easier. Is this a fair description of
> the situation?

My reply...
Data processing 101, anytime the same data is collected or stored in more than one place, it "will" eventually be out of synch. This happens whether it's on different Internet servers, on the same computer, or in the same database. It just happens, OK. It's always been that way, it's always going to be that way. There is noting you can to to improve it, or overcome it. OK? Got it?

Have a look at TuCows & ENom. I'd avoid resellers who go through their API's like the plaque. Anything they've got that's credible is served by "one" provider of processing services, themselves. Anytime somebody processes data on their own system, then feeds it to onto the registrar, it's going to be a fragil system, destined to break. It's not a matter of if, but when.

I mean most of the registrars themselves can't process data then pass it on to registries that store client data; such as .us, .biz & .info, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what people mean when they talk about API's. Probably because everybody means something different by it. I think DynaDot should just process all the data on their own system. Maybe you can accept a parameter, and display the reseller's logo, or colors, or whatever. Fine. If it makes them feel better. Fine. But I'd avoid accepting data from somewhere else, then incorporate into your system.

But to answer your question a couple of posts ago, yes you understand my viewpoint exactly, other than for all this API talk.

I'm adding something that I thought about after posting this; NetSol allows me to change the personal information on what they refer to as my "handle" record. After I've made the change it's updated within 30 minutes on every domain it's called out on, which in my case is the technical contact for a couple dozen domains, along with the 3 or 5 that I personally have registered with Netsol. In a half hour I go out on the Internet & do whois's on a number of servers. And for the TLDs that retain information at the registry, such as .org & .info it's already updated. It used to be flaky at NetSol, but now they really have it down, better than anyone else I can think of. They also have a rather sophisticated request/approval system where a user requests that I be their tech contact, and after I approve by clicking the url in an EMail, I'm in. It's not all candy & roses though, actually it's a pretty convoluted system to learn to use. For example any domain can have 1-to-many technical contacts, only one of whom shows up on the whois listing, and it's harder than h*** to learn to use.

A really nice benefit of my "handle" record being associated with customer domains, is that NetSol gives me the ability to list all of the domains, along with their expiration date, and the ones that are ready to expire are in red, so I can bug the domain owner, or just pay the bill.

If DynaDot were to implement such a feature, and they didn't want to go way overboard with a request/approval system, perhaps they could limit any listing to the domains on "my" account, as well as all the domains on the sub accounts under me. That would be pretty slick, especially if it actually worked, on org/biz/info. Although this would miss out on the ability to associate a user record of domains not "under" you.

I think anything you develop should be done with scalability in mind, with the assumption that someday you're going to have millions of records. Because I think you will have. DynaDot is like a 17 year old pitcher who throws 120 MPH fastballs. And I'm the scout who says, "I just know this kid is going to the bigs".

I really appreciate that somebody at DynaDot is actually reading what I have to say.

[This post has been edited by chuckster on Dec 1, 2006 11:04pm.]
Reply Quote