Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Confusion with DNS records
5/19/2021 12:51
I have little to no experience with DNS records. Whenever a service requests that I add a DNS record to my domain, Dynadot never seems to have the input fields I need. Since updating DNS records can take a long time, I can't exactly brute force troubleshoot through my problems unless I want to be trying for weeks. I'm having 2 DNS record problems right now:

1) Authenticating my domain on the Tutanota email service so I can use a custom domain for my email. To authenticate that I own my domain, I have been told to add a DNS record of Type=TXT, Host/Name=@, and Value/Points-to=[string]. However, Dynadot only appears to have "Record Type" and "IP Address or Target Value" fields. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to input the 3 required fields I was given into the 2 available fields. From my research I may have to use the Subdomain Records section as well but I'm not exactly sure how.

2) Authenticating my domain on SendGrid so I can use my domain instead of the default "sendgrid.net" extension. SendGrid requires me to add several DNS records of TYPE=CNAME, HOST=[string], VALUE=[string]. However, the problem is still the same as I don't know how to populate these 3 fields of information into the provided "Record Type" and "IP Address or Target Value" fields.

It may just be my lack of experience showing but I feel like Dynadot could really benefit from making their DNS record forms more user friendly. From what I saw through trying to troubleshoot, other services provide proper explicit inputs for DNS records. Fortunately, that's the only major complaint I've had so far with Dynadot. Regardless, I'd really just like to learn how to add these records to my domain. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
5/19/2021 14:57
I was able to figure out my problem by asking through the support chat. It was very quick and easy! Props to Dynadot. For anybody else stuck in a similar situation, I'll post my solution here.

My email service asked for a DNS record with the fields:
- Type: TXT
- Host/Name: @ (the @ indicates you need to add this to your Domain Record rather than your Subdomain Record)
- Value/Points to: [EmailServiceProvidedString]

Under the *Domain Record* section, I needed to enter the following into Dynadot:
- Type: TXT
- IP Address or Target Host: [EmailServiceProvidedString]

SendGrid asked me to make a DNS record with:
- Type: CNAME
- Host: [StringA][my-domain.ext] (For example, given a value of sdf432.mywebsite.com, sfd432 would be [StringA])
- Value: [StringB]

Under the *Subdomain Record* section, I needed to enter the following into Dynadot:
- Subdomain: [StringA}
- Record Type: CNAME
- IP Address or Target Host: [StringB]

Hope that helps somebody.
Reply QuoteHide Replies
teamdynadot replied p_m_calgary_ca_3 :6/12/2021 12:33
Hello.
Thank you so much for sharing your solution with the forum. For further information, please see the following help page.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/create-CNAME
Reply Quote
6/29/2021 09:28
Hi, Thanks for putting some clarification. I'm having similar issue. I'm trying to setup custom domain for my Hashnode.com blog which provide CNAME and A types, both with '@' as Host. I've tried to use CNAME and then A (without '@') but still no success, https://jbarszczewski.com is not working
Reply QuoteHide Replies
teamdynadot replied j_b_london_gb_27 :6/30/2021 01:17
Hello, is it a choice to use A or CNAME record? We would need to take a look of the setting instruction your host gave you to assist you correctly. In order to not reveal any private information here, can you give the instruction your host provided to our chat support or [email protected]?
Reply Quote