Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Spamhaus Block
4/1/2010 13:51
On March 26, 2010, all of our IP addresses were blocked by Spamhaus (spamhaus.org) for registering domains for "Russian cybercriminal spammers".  We politely asked for a copy of these spam messages as required by our spam policy, however, Spamhaus has refused to give any proof to us since they cannot keep "billions of spam seen every week".

Spamhaus has also asked us to disable domains for an issue unrelated to spam.  Since we'd like our IP addresses to be unblocked, we decided to investigate these domains for any possible Service Agreement violations.  We began the process last Friday and finished the list on Tuesday (March 30th) at about 2pm Pacific Time.  We then emailed Spamhaus, giving them a detailed breakdown of what happened to domains on their list.  This breakdown is as follows:

46 domains that are NOT registered with Dynadot
5 domains that were ALREADY disabled or offline since May 2009 (nearly 11 months ago)
118 domains that were DISABLED upon completion of our investigation
3 domains that are expired and CANNOT send any email
18 domains that are offline
3 domains that are parked using Dynadot's parking service and are unable to send any email (need proof of spam)
8 domains that required proof of spam

As of today, Thursday, April 1st 1:41pm Pacific Time, we have not received any response from Spamhaus.  Furthermore, we are still blocked by them.

We find Spamhaus' behavior highly unprofessional of them especially since we only require proof of spam for 11 domains out of the total list of 201 domains.  It is also clear that they did not do their own research and expected us to "proofread" their list for them since 46 domains are not even registered with Dynadot at this time.

If you would like to contact Spamhaus regarding this issue, you can find their email addresses here:

http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/contacts.lasso

More information about Spamhaus' unbecoming behavior can be found here:

http://linux.andreagozzi.com/content/spamhaus_article.php

Update:
As of April 6, 2010, Spamhaus has removed us from their blacklist.

[This post has been edited by dynadot_staff on Apr 7, 2010 4:44pm.]
Reply Quote
4/1/2010 15:40
This affects business negatively and severly. Spamhouse seems a big and very powerful organisation that seems in a position to simply block IP addresses with no real recourse available to the affected party, other than fully complying with Spamhouse’s requests. This seems terrible, but equally we need to move and get these IP addresses unblocked. I suggest that Dynadot amends its Spam Policy to the point where it can simply comply with Spamhouse directives even when apparently unreasonable. At least until a more equitable solution can be found.
Reply Quote
4/1/2010 16:42
c_m_coffs harbour_au:

I suggest that Dynadot amends its Spam Policy to the point where it can simply comply with Spamhouse directives even when apparently unreasonable.

Do you think that is fair to innocent customers?  They've been wrong in the past about certain domains even admitting they didn't have enough evidence to warrant further action from us.  

Suppose they listed one of your domains in their list, would you want us taking it offline without any proof to back up their claims?
Reply Quote
4/1/2010 16:47
I hope for everyone's sake that this gets sorted out soon. I don't have hosting with dynadot but I was going to be signing up soon so I hope it is sorted out by then.
Reply Quote
Posted By tanya
4/2/2010 03:40
dynadot_staff:

Do you think that is fair to innocent customers?  They've been wrong in the past about certain domains even admitting they didn't have enough evidence to warrant further action from us.  

Suppose they listed one of your domains in their list, would you want us taking it offline without any proof to back up their claims?

Agreed. Need proof.
Reply Quote
4/3/2010 07:43
simply file a legal lawsuit against them, they did something that harmed your business and your client's business, and you got proof about it that it was wrong, and moreover they didnt cooperate

and please use the money gained to make a better domain API :-)
Reply Quote
4/3/2010 16:11
I totally agree you should ask proof, and I totally agree you can sue them too.

My point it: for now, email forwarding is NOT working, can you simple change your email forward server to ignore Spamhaus list?
Reply Quote
4/4/2010 23:08
This is the first I know of a company called Spamhaus.

Could someone explain to me as to what they are, what do they do, and why are they so powerful.

If they block an IP address, how much would that hurt you.
Will this block only block selected customers of theirs?

Glad to see Dynadot being so anti-spam.
Reply Quote
4/5/2010 00:56
Could someone explain to me as to what they are, what do they do, and why are they so powerful.

If I am correct they provide email blocklists so you can put this blocklist on your server to catch any mail coming from a blocked email address, IP, etc.

This hurts dynadot because their IP addresses are now in the blocklist used by however many thousands of people.
Reply Quote
4/5/2010 15:32
This "Spamhaus" thing does not only hurt Dynadot's business.
It also hurts our business! I received several phone calls from my clients complaining their e-mails sent to our company are rejected!

I encourage Dynadot to take legal steps in order to resolve the situation ASAP.
Reply Quote
4/7/2010 16:44
As of April 6, 2010, Spamhaus has removed us from their blacklist.
Reply Quote