On March 26, 2010, all of our IP addresses were blocked by Spamhaus (spamhaus.org) for registering domains for "Russian cybercriminal spammers". We politely asked for a copy of these spam messages as required by our spam policy, however, Spamhaus has refused to give any proof to us since they cannot keep "billions of spam seen every week".
Spamhaus has also asked us to disable domains for an issue unrelated to spam. Since we'd like our IP addresses to be unblocked, we decided to investigate these domains for any possible Service Agreement violations. We began the process last Friday and finished the list on Tuesday (March 30th) at about 2pm Pacific Time. We then emailed Spamhaus, giving them a detailed breakdown of what happened to domains on their list. This breakdown is as follows:
46 domains that are NOT registered with Dynadot 5 domains that were ALREADY disabled or offline since May 2009 (nearly 11 months ago) 118 domains that were DISABLED upon completion of our investigation 3 domains that are expired and CANNOT send any email 18 domains that are offline 3 domains that are parked using Dynadot's parking service and are unable to send any email (need proof of spam) 8 domains that required proof of spam
As of today, Thursday, April 1st 1:41pm Pacific Time, we have not received any response from Spamhaus. Furthermore, we are still blocked by them.
We find Spamhaus' behavior highly unprofessional of them especially since we only require proof of spam for 11 domains out of the total list of 201 domains. It is also clear that they did not do their own research and expected us to "proofread" their list for them since 46 domains are not even registered with Dynadot at this time.
If you would like to contact Spamhaus regarding this issue, you can find their email addresses here:
This affects business negatively and severly. Spamhouse seems a big and very powerful organisation that seems in a position to simply block IP addresses with no real recourse available to the affected party, other than fully complying with Spamhouse’s requests. This seems terrible, but equally we need to move and get these IP addresses unblocked. I suggest that Dynadot amends its Spam Policy to the point where it can simply comply with Spamhouse directives even when apparently unreasonable. At least until a more equitable solution can be found.