Foodie Friday Five: 5 Refreshing Summer Drinks to Cool You Down
Summer is here! (Okay I guess summer technically starts June 21, but basically June is summer, right?) It's starting to heat up and we're ready for fun in the sun - and you can't have fun in the sun without a refreshing drink in your hand! Whether you're looking for an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink, we've got you covered with these five drinks that are guaranteed to keep you cool!
4 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup white sugar
8 cups cold water
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
8 fresh mint sprigs
1. In a medium bowl, mix together sliced strawberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
2. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and pour into a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the blended berry mixture through a wire mesh strainer set over a large mixing bowl; discard the pulp and seeds.
3. Add the remaining 7 cups cold water to the pureed strawberries and mix well. Place the Aqua de Fresa in the refrigerator to chill for several hours or pour over ice and serve immediately. Garnish with lime slices or mint leaves.
1 cup water
3 fresh, sliced strawberries
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon honey
7 cups water
1 3/4 cups fresh lemon juice
2 orange slices
1. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup water, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar, and honey. Bring to a boil, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature, cover, and chill.
2. In a large pitcher, mix together water, lemon juice, and orange slices. Stir in cooled syrup; chill. Serve in a tall glass over ice.
1/4 cup good quality vodka
2 fluid ounces peach schnapps
1 cup ice cubes
2 fluid ounces champagne
3 fresh raspberries for garnish
1. Pour the vodka and peach schnapps into a shaker with the ice. Shake until frothy. Strain into a martini glass, and top off with champagne. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
12 cups cubed watermelon, divided
1 750 ml bottle dry white wine
1 cup vodka
1/2 cup triple sec
1/2 cup simple syrup
1 medium, quartered lime
1 orange cut into wedges
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Place 9 cups of watermelon cubes in a blender; blend on high until very smooth. Strain juice through a mesh strainer into a large pitcher. Pour the wine, vodka, triple sec, and simple syrup into the pitcher. Stir to combine. Mix the remaining 3 cups of watermelon cubes, the lime quarters, orange sections, and blueberries into the sangria. Chill for 4 hours before serving.
5. Summer Beer
1 12 fluid ounce can frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
12 fluid ounces water
12 fluid ounces vodka
1 12 fluid ounce can or bottle beer
1. Place lemonade concentrate in a gallon pitcher. Measure water and vodka in the 12 ounce lemonade can and add to the pitcher. Pour in the beer, mix well and serve over ice.
All delicious drink recipes and delicious-looking drink pictures are courtesy of AllRecipes.com.
This post was written by Robyn Norgan, who is definitely looking forward to a summer of fun in the sun with a drink in her hand! Cheers!