Friday Five: 5 Things I Learned Interning at Dynadot
I’ve reached my last Friday as the Dynadot intern; I’m sad to go but I’m definitely not leaving empty handed. I came into this internship with little knowledge of the domaining world and now I’d like to say that I’ve learned quite a bit. For those of you who have been domaining for a long time you may think these five things are a given, but the majority of people still don’t know too much about the in’s and out’s of the world of websites. We spend a lot of time clicking and not enough time educating ourselves on what exactly we’re searching for. So for those of you that are looking to learn just a little bit more about what you can really do with websites this blog is perfect for you.
1. A good name is only as good as a great domain name.So you started a business: you're about to order the t-shirts, pens, caps, and - STOP, seriously stop. You need to not only think about your brand, but also your online presence. You want to be able to pick up a domain name (that www.namename.name thingy) that can reflect your awesome brand. If all the domain names that are similar to your brand are taken, you might have to do a little reflecting on your domain name. I recommend checking out our blog post on how to find the perfect domain name for ideas. This isn't to say that if the .COM is taken, you have to close up shop, disregard all dreams, and begin a downward spiral - there is hope, which brings me to...
2. Things exist outside of .COMThat's right, your website does not have to end in .COM. I will even go so far as to say that I don't believe every website should either. There are so many great domain extensions to use for your website, including ones that reflect what you're doing better than a .COM such as .ME, .IM, .US, .BIZ, and more. Take the time to see what domain extension works best for your brand, image, and website.
3. Stop putting it offI was lucky to attend a small business conference while interning with Dynadot. I couldn't believe how many people said they weren't ready to buy their available domain name - even when we were willing to help them register their available name for free! If that domain name is available - TAKE IT AND RUN!! Seriously, good domain names come and go; just because it was there yesterday doesn't mean you can expect it to be available today. Maybe you aren't ready to put your website out there yet, but it's better to own your domain name now, so that when you're ready you won't have to settle with a domain name you're not satisfied with.
4. Not everyone is online, but everyone should be.45% of small businesses don't have a website, so don't feel bad if you don't yet. I can't stress how important it is to have a website to establish your business. The likelihood of me finding or trying a business without looking it up online is slim to none. People rely on the Internet to provide them with all the answers to what's out there. The best advice I can give is: be in control of the way you want to be seen. Make your website a true reflection of your business and you will interest the target markets you're looking for. Most importantly, don't let others get confused by businesses with the same name as yours! Have your own website that you advertise in store and on your Facebook!! Just because you don't have the exact domain name you want doesn't mean that when people do a Google search they won't be able to find you! Take the time to create your online identity before you're mistaken for something else.
5. Working in a pet friendly office is the bomb.comSeriously, look at all the creative things I get to come up with our furry friends (including the cutest pup of them all, Little Bear on the far right!!).
Bonus extra: Dynadot is awesome. If you’re looking for an awesome place to buy your domain name or build your website, Dynadot can do it. Working here has been amazing; you will find awesome customer support and friendly staff. The team here is fabulous and will go above and beyond to make their customers happy. If you’re looking for unmatched service, look no further.
As I go off to finish my last year of college, I’ll take all of this knowledge with me. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog posts this summer. Keep on domaining and building websites, the Internet is waiting for your ideas. Lastly, Little Bear would also like to say thanks for allowing her to be a DynaDog Intern!
This post is written by Dara.