Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Unable to point Domain with CNAME and MX Record, what are my options???
9/21/2015 15:14
Hi,

I currently have a domain that is pointing to "Web Host A" using an IP in the A record and it has an MX Record which points to Google Mail for email.  I want to point the domain to a new host "Web Host B".  This Web Host B used CNAME records instead of A records.  But I got an error message saying I can't have both a CNAME record and MX record present.  This was possible to have both using A record.  Now I'm stuck, what are my options??? I don't want to have to lose email or move email.
Reply Quote
9/24/2015 08:26
If you want to create a CNAME, you would need to do so for the subdomain only when using MX records. In the base domain field, you can select FORWARD and forward your domain to the "www" version. An example is shown below:

How do I create a CNAME?

A CNAME record is short-hand for Canonical Name record, which allows you to assign a domain or subdomain to another address or hostname. CNAME records should only be used if you can't use an A record.

NOTE: If you already have an A record within the Domain records section, please SKIP step 5!

To create a CNAME, please follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Dynadot account.
  2. Select "My Domains" from the left-side menu bar and click "Manage Domains" in the drop-down.
  3. Check the box next to the domain name(s) and select "DNS Settings" from the "Action" drop-down menu.
  4. On the new page, select the "Dynadot DNS" option from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Domain Record (optional)" section at the top, select "Forward" as the record type, choose forward type, and enter "https://www.yourdomainname.ext" as the "Target Host". (NOTE: This is optional and please replace the value based on your own domain name.)
  6. Under the "Subdomain Record (optional)" field, enter "www" as the subdomain, select "CNAME" as the record type and enter the CNAME record given to you.
  7. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Settings" button to save your changes.

Please be aware that it might take some time for your changes to propagate.

A CNAME may be necessary for your domain to work with the following: Blogger, Blogspot, TypePad, iweb, MobileMe, zenfolio, ning.

Your settings should look similar to what is shown below:

From Help Section: Account & Domain Management > Domain Settings > How do I create a CNAME?
Reply QuoteHide Replies
s_h_jogja_id replied teamdynadot :9/14/2019 22:03
[quote]teamdynadot says: If you want to create a CNAME, you would need to do so for the subdomain only when using MX records. In the base domain field, you can select FORWARD and forward your domain to the "www" version. An example is shown below:

How do I create a CNAME?

A CNAME record is short-hand for Canonical Name record, which allows you to assign a domain or subdomain to another address or hostname. CNAME records should only be used if you can't use an A record.

NOTE: If you already have an A record within the Domain records section, please SKIP step 5!

To create a CNAME, please follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Dynadot account.
  2. Select "My Domains" from the left-side menu bar and click "Manage Domains" in the drop-down.
  3. Check the box next to the domain name(s) and select "DNS Settings" from the "Action" drop-down menu.
  4. On the new page, select the "Dynadot DNS" option from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Domain Record (optional)" section at the top, select "Forward" as the record type, choose forward type, and enter "https://www.yourdomainname.ext" as the "Target Host". (NOTE: This is optional and please replace the value based on your own domain name.)
  6. Under the "Subdomain Record (optional)" field, enter "www" as the subdomain, select "CNAME" as the record type and enter the CNAME record given to you.
  7. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Settings" button to save your changes.

Please be aware that it might take some time for your changes to propagate.

A CNAME may be necessary for your domain to work with the following: Blogger, Blogspot, TypePad, iweb, MobileMe, zenfolio, ning.

Your settings should look similar to what is shown below:

From Help Section: Account & Domain Management > Domain Settings > How do I create a CNAME?

There is 1 error
Cannot set A Record and Forwarding together.
Reply Quote
s_h_jogja_id replied teamdynadot :9/14/2019 22:03
There is 1 error
Cannot set A Record and Forwarding together.
Reply Quote
teamdynadot replied s_h_jogja_id :9/17/2019 00:16
That is correct, would it be possible that you send the full instructions from your hosting provider to [email protected] or contact our online chat? Our team will check further for you.
Reply Quote
Download the app:

Download the app: