Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Setting up DNS for a noob
4/2/2015 06:08
Hi,

I'm completely new to setting up a domain name and DNS.  I have managed to get set it up so that if anyone types www.mydomain.com it forwards to where my website is hosted by using an A record and setting it up on the www domain.  However, how do I get the naked domain mydomain.com to also point towards where my website is hosted?  I searched the forums but was unable to follow the replies given.  Can someone please explain this in an easy to follow format?

Additionally, I'd like to set-up a subdomain for my tumblr along the lines of sub.mydomain.com.  Is this possible while also keeping the main addresses pointing towards my main website?

Thank you,

Al.
Reply Quote
4/2/2015 07:33
Huh, my naked domain is now forwarding to the www sub - was it just a case of waiting for changes to propagate?
Reply Quote
4/2/2015 23:43
Yes, it may take from five minutes up to a whole day to update. You may want to see more information from here:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/not-propagated-yet
Reply Quote
4/7/2015 07:54
Thank you for the confirmation - hadn't expected the www and naked domain to have taken different lengths of time to propogate.

In relation to setting a sub-domain for my tumblr - is that possible while keeping the www and naked domain pointed at my self-hosted wordpress blog?
Reply Quote
4/22/2015 06:08
Bumping this as still wanting to know whether its possible to point a sub-domain towards my tumblr whilst keeping the naked domain and www sub pointed at my self-hosted blog. Cheers.
Reply Quote
4/23/2015 07:08
Yes, you can do that. Create the subdomain you want on the DNS page and point it to the Tubmlr IP address.

How do I set up DNS for my domain?

To set up DNS for your domain, please follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Dynadot account.
  2. Select "My Domains" from the left-side menu bar and click "Manage Domains" in the drop-down.
  3. Check the box next to your domain name(s) and click on the "Action" button.
  4. Choose "DNS Settings" from the "Action" list.
  5. On the DNS Settings page, select the "Dynadot DNS" setting from the top drop-down menu.
  6. Choose the "Record Type" you want to use from the drop-down menu, then enter the IP Address or Target Host of your web server in the text box.
  7. If you have an Email Server or MX Record available for your domain email, enter the priority (otherwise known as distance) and the hostname in the subsequent text boxes.
  8. You can also specify subdomain records in the "Subdomain Records(optional)" section the same way you do to the "Domain Record(optional)".
  9. Press the "Save Settings" button to save your changes.

Please be aware that it might take some time for your name server changes to propagate.

Note: If you have been instructed to add an "@", this simply means that the record should be entered under the "Domain Record (optional)" section. The "@" itself should not be entered.
From Help Section: Account & Domain Management > Domain Settings > How do I set up DNS for my domain?
Reply Quote