Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Not the IDN showing in the address bar
10/2/2008 11:35
Hello !

I'm new at those IDN URLs and I wonder why I got one . . .

I register one (I had money to loose) and now when I use
the URL that I register (www.îm.com) all I see is the www.xn--m-kga.com.

Here's the real questions :

How can I get www.îm.com to be the URL to stay in the adress bar ?
Is there a way to use those like «real» URL (www.îm.com/bozo/fr.html) ?

Thank You !
Reply Quote
10/2/2008 17:38
It depends on the specific browser you are using.  Some support native characters in the address bar, others don't.

I tested your domain with Firefox and it converted your URL to xn--m-kga.com.  However, when I used Safari, the address bar said, îm.com.

I was unable to figure out how to configure Firefox so that the URL in the address bar said îm.com.
Reply Quote
10/16/2008 20:21
You can see it in Opera and safari
But firefox and Internet Explorer donot.

Because Both these browser are set to display in english.
YOu have to change language settings

Go to IE and change the language to that of domain
may be Afrikaans,

You can see that
thanks
Reply Quote
10/31/2009 10:38
In IE one need to have a plugin to resolve the IDN domain

http://www.idnnow.com/index.jsp

as from what ive read at least.

Regards
Reply Quote
Posted By ac_l
11/2/2009 21:43
If you have IE 6, you are out of luck (or need a plugin?).  For IE 7 and IE 8, it's not so bad.  Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options.  In the Internet Options popup, select the General tab, and push the Languages button.  In the Languages Preference popup, push the Add... button and add the language you want (French in your case).  You might need to restart IE after that, but then your domain name should show correctly.

In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar where you would usually type the URL.  You will get a warning.  If you proceed, you should see a long list of settings.  Right-click anywhere on this list, and in the popup menu select New / Boolean.  Then enter this Preference Name, with this exact capitalization:
network.IDN.whitelist.com
and then in the next box, set the value to "true".  Your domain should now show up properly.

Be aware that there is a reason the browsers make this process complicated.  There are a lot of non-ascii characters that look like ascii characters, and evil sites can use these look-alike characters to disguise themselves.  So once you open up your browser to non-ascii urls, be careful.

For more IDN info, by the way, I recommend idnforums.com and idndemystified.com.  I think you'll discover that IDNs are not a waste of money, once you learn to avoid beginners' mistakes.

AC
Reply Quote