Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Spam complaints?!
2/16/2007 11:58
I received this email from Dynadot:

------------------------------
We have received several spam complaints for the domain, *******.com. Please stop sending spam immediately. If we receive any more complaints, we will have to disable your account.

Feel free to contact us if you require further assistance.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Staff

I replied this morning with this email:

There is ONE email account for *******.com, and it is soley used by my Invision Power Board forum for an automated email validation check. HOW on earth could these "complaints" be legitimate?

What can I do to stop this?

Was "[email protected]" the proper address to reply to?
Will Dynadot provide copies of any complaints?
What can I do to satisfy Dynadot that the complaints are false?

Thanks,
Rick
Reply Quote
2/16/2007 16:55
We have just sent a copy of the spam email to you.  Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help resolve this.
Reply Quote
2/16/2007 17:29
The whole message you sent looked like this, making it hard to decipher:

"Hello,=0A=0AHere=20is=20a=20copy=20of=20the=20spam=20email=20the=20complain=
ant=20sent=20to=20us:=0A=0ADelivered"

However, I did manage to gleen the email address of the person complaining of receiving 20 spams a week from my domain. He is a member of my forum that was disciplined for his behavior there. Gee, could it be sour grapes?

So, basically you'll threaten to shut down domains based soley on someone's word?
Reply Quote
2/17/2007 00:37
We have not shut down your domain. We did forward the complaint to you. And we will consider your side of the story as well.

Sorry, we cannot post anymore on this dispute on the forums. Please email us about this from now on.
Reply Quote
2/17/2007 11:22
what a joke dynadot that you don't take this guy seriously
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
2/17/2007 19:41
Suggestion

Are you 100% sure your email server is not open to relay abuse? especially given the domain usage.

Are you 100% sure that you have configured the email validation program to ensure that it does not resend spam inbounds?

In both cases once a vulnrability is found your in for it.

Ask the complainant for a copy of the email header he received and analyse that plus if your DB stores the number of emails sent to the user by YOUR system compare it wjth what he has claimed to received.

Last one is for DynaDot and yourself. We recently had a person complain about the same type of thing. Turns out HIS email account at the ISP was retaining the email after download and of course redownloading it each time he checked his email account.
Reply Quote
Posted By c-web
2/17/2007 23:41
When he signed up, he agreed to receive emails, correct? In that case it's not spam.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
2/18/2007 04:31
You are correct - except where the original sign up says X (we send you a fortnightly newsletter) and they get Y (blasted with daily advertising junk).

In a case like that it is still spam
Reply Quote
2/18/2007 06:40
There is absolutely no spam--we don't send newsletters or even "update" emails. What email is sent is totally generated by Invision Power Board, as follows:

* A verification to make sure that they've supplied a valid email address (they agree to receive this).

* A notification email once the admin has approved their registration.

* If the user has so selected in their control panel, they will receive a notification email when another user sends them a private message on the board.

* If the user has so selected in their control panel, they will receive a notification email when a subscribed forum or topic has new posts.

Finally, the complaintant is a troublemaker known to me and two other bulletin board operator friends of mine. I temporarily suspended him from my board a while back, so he's toned down his behavior in the forums. I suspect, of course, that he's simply trying to make trouble for me as a sort of payback.

What concerns me is Dynadot seems to take a "guilty until proven innocent" posture. I have 33 domains registered with Dynadot, and I have a single dedicated server. The only compaint comes from the domain where I have a known trouble maker, and this is exactly who registered the complaint against me.

Thanks for all responses,

Rick
Reply Quote
2/18/2007 15:34
I suggest you simply login to your control panel, ban the user. You can then add their email address / IP to the banned user list. This should stop them rejoining and it will prevent them being sent emails for notifications.

Or

Edit the MYSQL Database, replace their email address with one you own, you could then monitor what mail is being sent to that member.
Reply Quote
2/19/2007 04:38
Thank you, mate. I've taken your advice to ban the member and keep him from rejoining. I sent the following note to Dynadot after decoding the tokenized email they sent me as "proof" of spam being sent, lol:

---------------------------------------
The email below, which you referred to as "spam," is a notification email that the forum member had to manually set up. The subject line "Topic Subscription Reply Notification" indicates that the complaintant toggled on a notification himself. In other words, in our forums, he found a topic of interest and checked a box to receive notices when that topic is replied to.

This is NOT spam.

Please reply to this email and confirm that you understand this is not spam.

[copy of compaintant's "spam" attached]
---------------------------------------

I don't blame Dynadot for taking action, but I don't appreciate the heavy-handed email they initially sent, which said that and further reports of spam would result in my domain being shut down.

Thanks,
Rick
Reply Quote