5 Simple Video SEO Tips
Whether you're a film student or a business, you want your videos to be found through search engines such as Google and Bing. When it comes to search engine optimization or SEO for videos, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you will need to decide how you want to host your videos. You can choose to host your videos yourself or you can use a video website like YouTube or Vimeo. There are pros and cons to each type of hosting. If you use YouTube or Vimeo, your content will likely rank better, but it won't necessarily rank for your domain. If you choose to host yourself, you can build links back to your domain, but it may be harder to rank well. Either way, here are a few basic tips to help you improve your video SEO:
1. Video Title: Use your video title as a short description of what your video is about. Make sure to use appropriate keywords, so search engines and viewers can find your video.
2. Video Description: The description gives you more space to explain in depth what your video is about than the title. Again, you want to use appropriate keywords to help search engines and viewers understand what your video is about.
3. Video File Name: Using appropriate keywords in your file name is something small you can do to help search engines understand what your video is about.
4. HTML Content Around Video: Don't just post your video on a blank page or on a page with multiple videos and not much content. Adding additional content specific to your video on the same page is very helpful for search engines and viewers. For example, if your video is a product demo, you should include more information about the product (again with appropriate keywords) and, importantly, links to buy the product.
5. Social Sharing: Make it easy to share your video! You've bothered to make an awesome video and one of the benefits is getting people to link to it. One of the easiest ways to do that is to add social share links right on your page, so people can post your awesome video to their Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.
One additional important thing to remember is to start by making a great video. Now, this doesn't mean you need to spend tons of money and hire a professional team to put your videos together. You simply need to think about what videos make sense for your audience and make sure they are something that you would actually want to watch. Don't just create a video to create a video. As with all SEO, you should focus on creating good content, not just content.
Before you can worry about your video SEO, you need the right website to showcase your videos. Look no further than .TV! .TV is the domain made to play. For obvious reasons, the .TV domain has become the place for online video and with so many websites hosting video today, registering a .TV domain makes it easy to let people know that your site is all about video right in the URL. Whether you are creating a personal or business website to host your videos, a .TV domain is a must! Already have an established website on another TLD? Don't make people search for your videos, make them easy to find by registering your .TV domain name to compliment your main website. Best of all, .TV domains are on sale for just $12.99 until 6/30/13 23:59 EDT!
Want to learn more SEO? Dynadot has partnered with SEOmoz to offer you a FREE 45 day SEOmoz PRO trial. SEOmoz is an SEO software company that offers a complete set of software, tools, and resources to maximize your website's SEO. In fact, Dynadot is already an SEOmoz PRO member! Read our earlier blog post about the benefits of being an SEOmoz PRO member.
Post by Robyn Norgan