Throwback Thursday: 13 Things That Happened in 2013
2013 brought many exciting changes, news, and events for the domain industry, Dynadot, and for our customers. I've put together this list of 13 of our most memorable moments in 2013. Take a stroll down memory lane and join us in remembering what a great year 2013 was for Dynadot and the domain industry.
1. Hiya! Dynadot Customers Can Join Our Community & Become DynaNinjas!!As of March 5th, you can become a DynaNinja! Join the Dynadot community and begin your journey of seeking answers to questions you may have, starting conversations about topics you're interested in, and sharing their knowledge with our community. Start your journey as a beginner's white belt and work towards becoming a master DynaNinja by becoming an active Dynadot community member.
2. ICANN's New Trademark ClearinghouseIn March, ICANN launched their own Trademark Clearinghouse, which is "one of several important enhanced rights protection mechanisms that have been built into the New gTLD Program". According to ICANN's website, "The Trademark Clearinghouse will accept and authenticate rights information, and will support both trademark claims and sunrise services, required in all new gTLDs". Trademark holders, whether they're private individuals or companies, can now submit their trademarks via the website trademark-clearinghouse.com.
3. .PW: The Professional Web is BornOn March 25nd, the PW domain relaunched as the "Professional Web"! .PW domain is the country code domain (ccTLD) of the Pacific island nation of Palau, but as of this year, it relaunched and is now available to any one. .PW is the place to establish a professional online presence. Its goal is to be the new online destination for businesses and professionals around the world. Check out our previous blog for tips on how to use .PW to your advantage. .PW is on sale for $9.99 for 1 year registrations!
4. Global Attack On WordPressIn April, WordPress suffered a massive global web-based attack across all hosting providers and had over 90,000 IP addresses involved. This is a good reminder to make sure you update your password and web security. Please check out our previous blogs on Secure Passwords Tips and How To Protect Your Website on WordPress.
5. Dynadot Offers its First College ScholarshipAlso in April, Dynadot offered its first scholarship of $2,500! This scholarship was available for graduating high school students and current college students in Digital Media, Web Development, or Web Design. Congrats to Brianna Gray for winning our scholarship! Stay connected with Dynadot for upcoming scholarships.
6. The Dot Is Here To Stay....For NowAs you may know, every website address includes a dot, such as .COM or .NET. Google put in an application to ICANN to request a "dotless" domain; so you would not have to put in a .COM or .NET. In August, ICANN denied Google's request for a "dotless" domain because, according to ICANN, the use of "dotless" domains can have "security and stability risks."
7. This Years Highest Selling Domain Goes To…IG.com! On September 11, it is reported that IG.com sold for $4.7 Million making it the years biggest domain sale.
8. Dynadot Offers .CN Registrations AgainOn September 17th, Dynadot officially announced we will be offering .CN domain registrations again! We hadn't offered .CN registrations since 08/31/2011, so after almost two years we have .CN back for registration! .CN is China's domain extension and is very popular in its home country. Although it used to be limited to Chinese residents, .CN domains are now open to anyone. .CN is on sale for $6.99 for 1 year registrations!
9. Dynadot Launches VPS Hosting!On October 14th, Dynadot announced that we now offer VPS Website Hosting! VPS stands for Virtual Private Server, which means that you have the benefits of a dedicated server without the cost because it allows you to take control of a section of a server. Unlike shared hosting, which can be restrictive due to shared system resources, our VPS hosting offers you SSH and full access to your virtual server. VPS is available for both monthly and yearly payment. Also, we have just decreased our yearly payment price from $120 to $100!
10. Customers Receive Domain Scam NoticesScammers posing as "The Domain Registry of America" sent emails which looked like a bill and asks people to "renew [their] domain to retain exclusive rights to it on the Web" and includes the domain's upcoming expiration date as an incentive. They also included a "reply by date" to rush people into acting on it so they don't lose their domain. If you receive or have received one of these letters you should know that their "best savings" are much higher than our prices (as well as the prices of other ICANN accredited registrars). We always recommend choosing an ICANN accredited registrar, whether that is us or someone else.
11. Delegation of First New gTLDsOn October 23rd, ICANN announced that the first new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) have been delegated. This means is that the new domain extensions have been introduced to the Internet's Root Zone, which brought them another step closer to being available to the public. Although there are still things that need to be done on the registry side, the new domains to be available sometime in 2014. There are four new domain extension strings which are all international, meaning they use non-Latin characters:
شبك (xn--ngbc5azd) is Arabic for "web or network"
онлайн (xn--80asehdb) is Cyrillic for "online"
сайт (xn--80aswg) is Cyrillic for "site"
游戏 (xn--unup4y) is Chinese for "game(s)"
12. Dynadot Offers Two New Currencies: RMB & EurosDynadot announces it now accepts Chinese RMB and Euros, along with US Dollars! This makes it easier for our awesome customers to process payments faster and easier. As of November 25th, RMB payments will be processed through Alipay, China's popular online payment platform (for those of you unfamiliar with Alipay, it is similar to Paypal). As of June 27th, all Euro payments accepted through Paypal and MoneyBookers, and we are currently working on accepting credit cards soon.
13. Dynadot Adds DNSSEC & Signs ICANN's RAAAs of December 19th, Dynadot has added DNSSEC in preparation of new top level domain (TLD) extensions in the coming months. DNSSEC stands for Domain Name System Security Extensions and its job is to make sure that the Internet Protocol (IP) address provided by the name server is authentic. DNSSEC is an additional security feature that was a requirement for ICANN's 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). The agreement must be signed by any registrar that wants to continue their ICANN accreditation in 2014, which of course is something very important to us here at Dynadot.
Check out our December Daily Deals for our one day sales going on this month! Today we are offering Free 1 Year Privacy with any domain registration! Just use coupon code: FPREG26. Sale ends today, 12-26-13 23:59 PST.
Post By: Justin Narayan