Sunday Punday: Nuts Are So Expensive These Days They Cost an Almond a Leg!
Nuts may be expensive, but when they're as delicious as the almond, it's worth it! Here are a few fun facts about almonds in honor of National Almond Day!
- Almost all almonds in the US come from California. (You're welcome.)
- Almonds require bees for pollination. In order to pollinate California's almonds, nearly 1 million bee hives are brought into the state from around the US each February.
- Almonds grow inside of a fuzzy hull and are technically a seed.
- Almonds are one of the best sources of the antioxidant vitamin E. One ounce of almonds gives you more than a third of the Daily Value.
- The main fat in almonds is heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
- Almonds are used in many desserts around the world including some wedding sweets in Greece, pastry fillings in Morocco, and as a base for amaretti in Italy.
Want more fun puns? Keep up with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ where we'll be posting fun puns every Sunday with the hashtag #SundayPunday
And if you want more fun, crazy, and hilarious holidays, look for our #HilariousHolidays hashtag as well!
Posted Sunday, February 16, 2014 by Robyn NorganTweet