Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
dynadot.com Downtime
3/4/2009 14:19
Dear Customers,

Recently our main site dynadot.com was unavailable for a little over 2 days. What happened was that faulty hardware corrupted the superblock of one of our file systems, corrupting it beyond repair. Webhosting, dns servers, website forwarding, parking, and email forwarding were not affected.

Although we had prepared for such a situation by using redundant hardware and performing frequent backups, when it actually happened it took us longer than expected to recover. During this time I was 100% focused on getting the site back up, and neglected to inform you, our customers, what was going on. Those of you who were upset about this lack of communication are completely justified, and I apologize.

This is the first major hardware failure we have ever experienced in our 6 years in business, and we have learned some good lessons. In the coming months we plan to redesign our infrastructure to further increase the fault tolerance of our systems. Secondly, we plan to develop "dynadot.info" to be a system status website hosted at a different data center. This site will have alternative ways to contact us, and a frequently updated blog if our systems ever go down again.

When you run as many servers as we do, and are growing as fast as we are, hardware problems become a "when" rather than a "if". We promise to improve our handling of these situations from now on.

Best Regards,
Todd Han
President
Dynadot
Reply Quote
3/4/2009 15:27
Thanks for letting us know!

Some questions:

1. What does Dynadot plan to do about those people whose domains have gone missing from their account? Are you working to recover them back into their account in a timely manner?

2. What does Dynadot plan to do about those who were domain tasting, and went over their grace period time due to the 2 days of downtime?  Will their funds be refunded, or will a credit be given to them?

A lot of people in the customer feedback forum are talking about those 2 main issues. There hasn't been a lot of correspondence on the forum from your staff since the downtime, but I'm sure you all have your hands full trying to get things back on track, while responding to email & phone support questions, which is why you haven't responded so quickly to people's problems on the forum.

Anyway.. cheers to everything getting back on track for Dynadot, and everyone here!
Reply Quote
3/4/2009 16:02
What I'm wondering is why your application server (just one?) and database server were apparently on the same box. And, as others have pointed out, backups might have been frequent, but they obviously weren't frequent enough. Data is off by a couple days. Finally, there's no mention at all about what's being done to ensure all account information is accurate, nor was there any mention of compensation for the downtime.

I think you'll find that your continued half-assed handling of this matter will reduce your customer base to single digits in a matter of weeks.
Reply Quote
Posted By tanya
3/4/2009 18:46
Got my domain back on my account... :)

Yesterday, I contacted Dynadot's at https://www.dynadot.com/company/contact.html  about one of my domain missing from my account.

Minutes later I received reply that Dynadot will re-add the domain manually and will do it in about 24 hours.

Today, the domain already in my account.

Thank you Dynadot for handling this matter.

And, for other, please let Dynadot work to solve it. Just give them some time. :)

My hope that this matter will not happen again in the future.

I still loves Dynadot and look like I'm already stick to you. :)
Reply Quote
3/4/2009 21:46
Dynadot.info gives me a virus/trojan error message alert when I go to it:

Screencap: http://i42.tinypic.com/ztivb5.jpg

Might want to check that out before other people get infected with whatever is on that site.
Reply Quote
3/5/2009 00:05
I hope that dynadot sets the accounts correctly !

Thank you ,
Jamal.
Reply Quote
3/5/2009 04:19
You always win our hearts.

Thanks my Dyandot
Reply Quote
3/5/2009 07:41
Against, my better judgment, I already went and opened an account with GoCrappy..

I have been happy with Dynadot for a little over 2 years now I think.
My main issue was that I could not log into my account to change name servers for a few of my new clients. Also, could not purchase domains for incoming clients. This left my progress stale for the time Dynadot was down.

Pricing here compared to GoCrappy is unbeatable and I need these prices.
So, I think what I will do, as I suggest everyone do, is as soon as I purchase a domain I am going to point it to one of my servers, rather I create an account for it or not immediately. At least this way I know I can still build a site on my domains rather DYnadot is up or down.

My biggest fear is losing domains.
I am sure Dynadot would not let this happen, and to my understanding it was just the site itself that was down and not any crucial data .
Reply Quote
3/6/2009 06:52
WE HAVE DONE THE PAYMENT FOR RENEWAL, BUT AFTER WE CHECK ON OUR ACCOUNT, IT SAYS THAT THE DOMAIN NOT RENEW YET!!!

THIS IS HAPPENING AFTER THE DYNADOT WEBSITE WAS DOWN! I'VE ALREADY SEND THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL, BUT MY DOMAIN BECOME DOWN BY NOW!!! WE ABSOLUTELY ALREADY DO THE RENEWAL!!!

THIS IS THE EMAIL FROM OUR PAYMENT:

ORDER INFORMATION
date created: 2009/02/28
order number: 697578
ITEMS
  project-otak.net - domain renewal
    1 year ($5.99)
    $5.99
    Result: Renewed

WE LOST OUR OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE OF THIS! DO DYNADOT RESPONSIBLE ON OUR LOST??? DO WE GOT A COMPENSATION OF THIS???
Reply Quote
3/6/2009 08:58
simply dynadot sucks,they cant even pay the revenue of 6 months ago..
Reply Quote